The Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities, JONAPWD has tasked the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, NPHCDA, to ensure that Persons with Disabilities, PWDs are able to access COVID-19 vaccine across the country.
This was disclosed by Ms. Ekaete Judith Umoh, National President, JONAPWD, while speaking at a sensitization workshop organized by NPHCDA.
Umoh, who appreciated the NPHCDA for the thoughtfulness in engaging the disability community, noted that much needed to be done to make the information regarding COVID Vaccination accessible.
“Thank you for the thoughtfulness of engaging the disability community, we are ready to partner with NPHCDA to make all information and procedures accessible to all PWDs.”
David Anyaele, Executive Director, Centre for Citizens with Disabilities, CCD, reiterated that, “our concerns have been that, all efforts that are being made to address COVID are not made to include PWDs.”
He thereafter stressed that guidelines for vaccinating PWDS should be developed to make the vaccination accessible for PWDs across the country, also adding that, “vaccination centres must be accessible to PWDs.”
Earlier, the representative from NPHCDA had revealed that the vaccination would be in phases, with the aim of targeting 40% of the population in 2021 and the other 60% in 2022. Priority will also be given to persons with underlying health challenges.